This site hosts personal web pages for faculty members in the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering at the University of British Columbia.
Information for Faculty Members
This new service allows you to directly update your personal website at anytime. By simply transfering website files to the faculty.chbe.ubc.ca server using the method described below, your website becomes active and available to the world.
Your username is the first portion of your email address, for example: my email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. so my username is darcyw.
A storage limitation of 20MB has been set. You will get an access denied message when transferring files in excess of this limit.
To access your website, go to http://faculty.chbe.ubc.ca/your_username
To upload your personal website, you will need to download and install a software package from SSH Communications Security.
This software secures the information you send to the server while transfering files. This keeps your username and password from falling into the wrong hands. This software is easy to use and install. For instructions, please see SSH Download Instructions.
You will be prompted to enter a username and password. To logon, enter your username and password.
Uploading your files
1. From your Windows Start Menu, Select the Programs option and open the SSH Secure Shell folder that was created when you installed the SSH software. Inside this folder is an option for the Secure File Transfer client. Select this option.
2. Once the Secure File Transfer Client has started, click on the "Quick Connect" button.
3. You will now see a "Connect to Remote Host" dialog box with options for Host Name, User Name, Port Number, and Authentication Method. We are concerned with only the first 2 option, Host Name and User Name. In the Host Name box, type: faculty.chbe.ubc.ca. For the User Name option, enter your.chbe.ubc.ca email username.
4. You will be prompted to enter a password. Enter your email account password.
5. After logging on successfully, you will see a familiar two window interface. In the left window, your local files and folders from your computer are available, and in the right window you have the files and folders located on the server. To transfer files from your computer to the server, simply select them and drag them over to the right hand side. Remember, you must place your website files
in the "public" folder in your home directory. Before transfering your website files, double click the public folder in the right window pane to open this folder.